Sunday 24 January 2016

Fixing my NVidia troubles....

Owh what a ride on Windows. The latest check-in on Github now compiles and runs correctly (for me). Older ones probably will work fine for most people as well though I did miss out on a few files in the makefile. Do note that I did upgrade to the latest Visual Studio Express so if you're on something older you may need to grab older build files from the GLFW website.

The problems I was having were all related to my recent Windows 10 upgrade. After a lot of headaches and googling I found that I wasn't the only person having troubles. To be exact some people got badly stuck halfway through the Windows 10 upgrade.

I guess I got lucky as I'm using an AlienWare laptop with both an Intel graphics card and an NVidia GT 555M and the intel card being used by default to save on power usage (and thus battery life).

Anyways, something went wrong in the drivers. Something went even more wrong in the automatic driver update which kept telling me I had the latest drivers but that was a pretty lie.

NVidia fixed the issues a while ago and released new drivers and as soon as I installed those, all my problems (including a few that had been haunting me with certain games) went away.

No comments:

Post a Comment