Tuesday 21 June 2016

Update on lighting

Hey all,

I've been nice and busy in what little spare time I have and have got point lights working nicely in the engine. Point lights are easiest to implement from a light perspective but are a bit of a pain when it comes to shadowmaps as you're basically creating a cube around the light and rendering a shadow map for each side. The plus side is that you can generally use static shadow maps (rendering them once and then just reusing). I'll look into combining static shadow maps for the environment with shadow maps to deal with moving objects at some later time to get a best of both worlds thing going.

I only have 3 point lights at this time but in theory I should be able to render a lot of them before any noticeable framerate drop. I won't however do that until I implement spot lights. Spotlights only illuminate in a particular direction and can use a single shadow map and in most cases suffice where a point light is overkill.

I updated the previous post with some images I generated from the buffers to hopefully make the buffers a bit clearer, I'll find some time to write up info about the point lights at a later stage. For now I will check in my changes as they are right now so you can have a look at the code and leave you with two images.

First an image where I'm rendering small versions of all the buffers ontop of the UI (though I'm only showing the 6 shadow maps for the first point light):

Then here is the end result of having some fun with lighting:



No comments:

Post a Comment