Tuesday 23 August 2016

Update of GLFW tutorial

Hey all,

I've found some time to update the makefile for the windows build so everything compiles. I've tested this on a new computer I was able to use at work using Visual Studio 2013 and it works pretty nicely.

I've also updated both windows and mac builds to use the latest GLFW version 3.2.1. I haven't changed any functionality as I haven't had time to look into the changes in this new build but it seems to have a few interesting bits that I'll be looking into.

Other then that I've slowly been working on my forward+ renderer. It is now rendering well over 1000 point lights on my little old Macbook reaching about 45fps at 1280x720 in windowed mode. 
On the new windows machine it managed to fluctuate between 80 and 150 fps, that thing is fast.
One nice thing is that the number of lights do not effect performance too much.

Mind you, it's still a good 25% slower then the deferred renderer. Ok I never brought it up to supporting a large volume of lights but I'm still surprised at the results so far. Seeing the simplicity of the scene I'm rendering so far the forward+ renderer should be doing less not having to build 5 really large images. It really makes me wonder where it is loosing most of the speed.

I like the simpler implementation of the forward+ shader however so I'm not giving up on it yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment