Tuesday 23 December 2014

Bounding boxes update

So I've been playing around with the city model with mixed results. I've added an algorithm to loading the model to split it into smaller parts where faces are clustered together but it is dreadfully slow and unreliable.

 


That said, it wasn't a total loss, it has proven that the changes to my code have had the desired effect but it does feel like it is the end of the line for using this model for testing things. As the second screenshot shows the bounding boxes are very erratic as some objects have been correctly isolated (like the sand bags or whatever they are), some are included in much larger boxes (like the car) and some bounding boxes seem unrelated all together.

When rendering the entire scene the frame-rate suffers greatly because the number of objects being rendered is so much higher but I'm not interested in that much because I hope to end up in a situation that when we move far enough away we start rendering lower level of detail models and exclude unnecessary detail. Moving to areas where much less objects are on screen we can suddenly see the frame rate jump up even to a comfortable 60fps (to which GLFW seems to be limited).

It sounds like I'll have to move forward my plans of creating a scene editor of sorts. This will allow me to load individual objects such as buildings and placing them and relating them to other objects.



No comments:

Post a Comment